Closer to Fine

"The hardest to learn was the least complicated."

Monday, November 08, 2004

Oh, the weather outside is frightful....

OK, I *swore* I wasn't going to post again today, since that would technically be three in one day, and that's a little nerdy, even for me. But tonight was so fun, I just had to post.

First of all, shout out to my girl Erica, who provided me with a lovely evening of giggles and good conversation. She reminded me yet again that I have the best friends on the planet, and I'm very lucky. Thanks, girl!

Second, Erica and I went to Downtown Crossing tonight to see Jon Ondrasik of Five for Fighting fame. He performed live at the Borders there, and it was suprisingly sparsely attended. All the better for us, though, as it was a great mini-concert and he had a fascinating question and answer session. I love intimate concerts like that, because it makes the songs more real...to see them not only performed in person but also to hear the stories behind them and know more about the person who writes and sings them. This Jon Ondrasik is a real, funny, passionate human being and listening to him talk and sing tonight was just fantastic. Plus he signed my CD (I already owned it), and he signed it, "Kristy: All my love, John-" That's right folks, ALL his love. For me. None for his wife and kids, or any of the other fans. Well, except for maybe Erica, to whom he wrote the same thing. But just us. Nobody else. I'm sure of it.

As a sidebar, I learned the origin of the Five for Fighting name. I had always wondered, because I think it's a band of three, definitely NOT five...kind of like Ben Folds Five. Of course I don't know the origin of the Ben Folds Five name, so if anyone else does, feel free to edify me. I'd love to know, as I enjoy their music as well (there's only three of them, too). Anyway, Five for Fighting is a reference to a hockey penalty: five minutes for fighting. Apparently (who knew?) Jon Ondrasik is a huge sports fan, in fact he writes a column for Sports Illustrated. Go figure! Anyway, he explained that the reference is not meant to only refer to hockey, but also to refer to having a passion for what you do so much that you'd fight for it despite the costs. Pretty darn cool.

Finally, the third cool thing that happened tonight (which was the catalyst for getting me to blog the uber-nerdy third time) is the source of the entry title. That's right, folks. It's snowing here in Beantown tonight. Nothing that will stick, mind you, or even accumulate, but it was a nice little shower of snow as I walked home from the T. It was really pretty...just cold enough to snow, which is not that cold at all really, and I'd much prefer a little snow shower than a little rain shower as I walk home from the T. Welcome winter! Please be kind this year.

And that's it. Are you wondering about the progress of my paper? Of course you are, you wonderful, devoted folks. How thoughtful of you! It's getting there, I'm done with the reference part of the paper and now only have to write my own thoughts, sort of the reflection portion of it, and then I'm done. I'll do that tonight, then let it sit tomorrow, edit it and send it in. And, of course, then I'll have to start up on the next project, due in a few weeks. It never ends! Ah, the life of a student...

Wishing you all a lovely evening...

music: "Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!" by Sammy Cahn and Julie Styne

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Music, light snow, night, Boston: What better combination is there (other than being one of two people in the world with ALL of Jon Ondrasik's love or the Sox winning the Series? :-) The blue text on the blog is a bit hard on old eyes to read. Glad the paper is going well. Hope the rest of your life is, too.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes!! A shout out on a Blog - I love it! And I want to thank you too, for giving me something to read instead of doing MY work (especially since I am sooo lazy that I won't write my own), so I'll just read yours! And, I agree, what a nice surprise to step off the T and have it snow - I couldn't believe it!

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Know what dress colors highlight your hair, your eyes and your skin tone, and what style lines are most flattering for your body type. Buy your Prom Dresses to fit and flatter your current figure; it wouldn?t be safe to buy a smaller size if you?re still hoping to lose weight by prom night. You want a fit that skims the body with enough ease to move comfortably and gracefully.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home