Closer to Fine

"The hardest to learn was the least complicated."

Thursday, March 30, 2006

You Down Wit' OCD? Yeah You Know...er....Everybody?

(Alternatively Titled: The Blog Brought to you by Jay. No, Literally. Jay wrote it. Enjoy.)

First off, let me introduce myself as Jay, Kristy’s boyfriend, who she has previously written about in only a few blogs… but I’m sure she raves about me in private. OK, now that we have the proper introduction, here’s my beef .

Remember a few years back, when parents, looking for the easiest excuse as to why their child was a stark mad raving lunatic, who did everything but bark at the moon, decided their child or children (remember genetics) was ADD, ADHD or even HDTV? They took to the airwaves, it was on all the news shows, I’m sure Matt Lauer debated its merits with some real famous jackass – ADD was hip, the IN thing, and we all thought we had it. It became popular culture. It took on a life of its own.

*Why did you leave the stove on? ADD

*Oh my God, I forgot to pay the heating bill - ADD

*That report you needed yesterday boss? Have I told you I’m ADD – Hey, it could be worse, I used to be HD too! I’ll have it to you by…what were we talking about again?

*Why did you forget your child was in the backseat when you went to the bar? ADD

Those were the days, we didn’t need excuses. We only needed ADD. Then people got wise. Society figured out if everyone has ADD, wouldn’t that make ADD the default behavior and only the superior should be identified and worshiped? You know, the ASI – the Attention Superior Intellectuals. People like Tom Cruise…er…I’m sorry he’s ASS (please don’t sue me Tom, I’m soooooo scared of your 5’2” {in heels}, scrawny, buck-oh-five ASS).

Well folks, now we have another malady sweeping across the nation. No, not the bird flu. It’s not SARS. You guessed it, it’s OCD.

Yes, now our friends, co-workers and loved ones - as well as ourselves, can be absolved of all annoying habits and stubborness just by throwing out those three little letters you all know so well. O is for obsessive, C is for compulsive… the last letter, weeellll that’s not so simple. Is it D for disorder?

*Why won’t you move that chair I keep stubbing my toe on? OCD! It has to stay there!

*Why do we have to have a plan all the time? OCD

*Sorry boss about being late, I had to check the iron, then the stove, then the iron then the stove, then the door didn’t close right, so I had to check it again…my OCD just kicked in.

*You can’t sit in that seat. I watch every Red Sox game in that seat. It’s my OCD.

*Listen, I don’t mean to be an ass, but I have OCD – can you clean up your mess NOW, or I’ll just, just, just … {No, I get it, you’ll just keep nagging me.}

Personally, I think D may as well stand for DICK, as in it’s an excuse we use when we want to be a flaming Dick. Saying you (or I) have OCD is just a hellava lot nicer than saying “Hey, I’m an inflexible Dick.”

So people of the world, we must fight this OCD phenomenon at all costs, because we don’t want the default behavior to become OCD. Save it for all the poor souls who really do have it, like those who take an hour-and-a-half just to turn off a light switch. However, Tom Cruise can be OCD because he really is an inflexible Dick.

My whole point is people don’t need to put acronyms behind their behavior. I like to think a little bit more the old fashioned way and use words like accountable, responsible, or, more simply, human. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and we all have to live with them. So let’s go about making ourselves acronym free, unless you really have the paperwork, or scripts, to prove it.

11 Comments:

Blogger audges said...

I've never met said Jay, but by his post, I think I like him!! Oh!! And I LOVED what you had to say about peeps. I think I shall have a dissertation about them in an upcoming blog. Miss Ya! Say hi to R2.

12:57 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

I understand Jay's point, but unfortunately OCD is a real disease...and not make-believe.
Is it the epidemic some make it out to be? No....but those who do actually have it are not happy about it and would never use it as an excuse. It's real, and it hurts. And it's not a badge of honor, believe me.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom who once wore and orange-and-blue striped rugby shirt for an entire college basketball season (can you say late November - early December through early April?) without washing it once: I have initials. Many of them. Some of them are useful in some situations, but not in all situations. Some I could tell you, but cannot prove their existence without violating privacy laws, if you get my drift. OCD is a problem for those who have it. Perhaps what we need to stop is letting everyone use the serious and real initials, and keep some of our initials private. And yes, be responsible, accountable, and human. It is okay not to move the chair just because that's the way you want it. It is okay to plan because that is what makes you comfortable. It is okay to sit in the same seat or wear the same shirt the entire season because that is what brings the team LUCK (and, as we all know, it looks like it is going to take incredible LUCK this year if the Red Sox want to get to the playoffs). It is also okay to ask that a mess be cleaned up NOW (or put said mess in said mess-makers bedroom, which encourages a speedy cleanup.) Em - you need to get Jay to cook dinner for you: skip the cake, get him to do a veggie dinner! By the way, Em, you and your sweet hubbie visiting BeanTown should also be an option with respect to meeting said Jay. He is pretty special and Kristy talks about him ALL the time. Her grandfather is VERY curious to meet him. Ah, well, enough said! Jay - Mr. Cruise may have more $$ than you and sometimes that makes a big difference. I, too, used to find him annoying. Now I just ignore him and boycott his movies and other public appearances. I also pray for him and his girlfriend at times. Mindy sends her love to all, as do the rest of us.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom: Ah, I think I need to clarify the statement about the shirt - I only wore it for games ... :-)

6:13 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Jay,
I didn't mean to sound offended...truly I wasn't. I'm offended at people who would go around making light of the condition. Which I realize is not what you were doing. You had a good point.

Take care!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

:) Not to sound like a copycat, but when are you and Kristy coming to visit ME?!

As far as the initials debate, it could be argued that the entire Chicago Metro Area is suffering from S.A.D. and today it is especially pronounced. These blustery, cold, rainy days do not spell spring to me... Though they are the perfect opportunity to wear my supercute galoshes! Arriving to work with pants that are soaking wet takes a bit of the galoshes pleasure away, though...

In any case, we use it quite frequently here:

*missed a deadline? Sorry, boss, I was zoned out staring at my computer due to S.A.D.

*slipped into a coma? Sorry, it was a touch of S.A.D.

*sitting on the couch for 6 hours after work AGAIN? Must be S.A.D.

We're not lazy people, we're just S.A.D., dangit!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

Ooo, I forgot the best one:

*Haven't written a blog in forever? Not my fault, it's the S.A.D.

;)

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom: I keep forgetting that those of you who live closer to the frozen north have yet to have the warm, sunny days that we have seen of late. Here, the bartlett pears have bloomed and leafed, the cherry trees are blooming, the forsythia is going crazy, daffodils are blowing their showy trumpets in the breezes, and the redbuds have burst. Hyacinths and tulips are perfuming the air. The first dogwood blooms are beginning their sprawl with the azaleas just about ready to pop. Lilacs are spiking and if we get a little rain, the May flowers will bloom, too. Too sunny for S.A.D. here ...

11:09 AM  
Blogger audges said...

Krash~ So this has nothing to do with your current blog, but I wanted you to know that in honor of you, I went out and bought Reeses Pieces eggs. I'm sure I spelled that wrong but whatever. And yes. You were absolutely right. They're AMAZING!!!

1:15 AM  
Blogger TanteToma said...

Freaking genius.

2:22 AM  
Blogger pilgrimchick said...

You've got a good point. Too often, people try to put labels on things in order to solve problems more easily. If people took the time, then maybe this would all just be a moot point.

Very entertaining by the way.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home