Closer to Fine

"The hardest to learn was the least complicated."

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Schlubs, Slurpees, and Scrubbers

(Alternatively titled: The hodge-podge post of small things I've been thinking about lately, joined into one humongoid post.)

Monday, April 17, was
Patriot's Day here in Boston. I *love* this holiday. It honors the battles fought in Lexington and Concord that began the fight for independence in this country, but what it really means is that (almost) everyone in the Boston area gets the day off (sorry, Jay). It's such a fun day, especially because you feel like you're getting away with something...having the day off when the rest of the country (even the rest of the state) is working. It is something TRULY unique to Boston, and I totally dig that. Probably the biggest reason people in Boston get the day off is because the run the Boston Marathon on this day. The Boston Marathon is an event that is unique in its own right, besides creating a holiday for our great city. Most marathons begin early in the morning because they take several hours to finish and it gets too hot by midday and too dark by evening for the runners to be able to finish. The Boston Marathon, however, starts at 11am. That's because it's still winter here, usually, and it's actually not the right temp for a marathon run until mid-day. (Side story: two years ago it was 80 degrees on Marathon Monday, and they had to fly in the person who heads up the Ironman Triathalon in Hawaii to help the planners figure out how to not have all the runners die from heat stroke...because the Ironman was the only other race run in conditions like we had that day. Craziness.) It's especially fun to watch the Boston Marathon, because it is the oldest marathon in the country, and because the last mile of the marathon begins in Kenmore Square, just outside of Fenway Park. In recent years, the Red Sox have purposely planned a home game starting about the same time as the marathon...and many people (the lucky ones) get tickets to the game, go to that, and then when it's over they empty into Kenmore just as the bulk of the marathon runners are starting to come through. It's a fun time - all along the marathon course people line up to cheer on the runners, and often they bring signs to update the runners on the Sox score. The marathon also runs right by Wellesley Collge, and the Wellesley girls and faculty line the streets in THRONGS and cheer the runners on all day. This part is called the Wellesley "Scream Tunnel," and I've heard from actual marathoners that they thought they'd go deaf while running through it, but it was also the biggest rush of the race. The Scream Tunnel, by the way, often prompts strapping young men running the marathon to write on their chests in permanent markers things like "I love Wellesley girls. Call me! " SO funny. Also, one year, the Sox played the Yankees and I saw many people running with things written on their arms/chests like "Jeter Sucks" and other such Yankee-hating quips. It's just funny - the Boston Marathon definitely has a personality all its own.

In any case, taking public transportation on this day is a MESS. Many portions of bus routes and T stations are shut down for the marathon, and the system runs very slowly due to packed cars from both the game and the marathon. I happened to be on the T trying to get to South Boston to watch a Little League game (Jay coaches), and timed it just right so that I was next to people boarding the T coming straight from having run the marathon. Now, I've been at the Sox game (well, OK, not at the Sox game, per se, but at the ballpark in the bar attached to Fenway watching the game on TV), and I may or may not have had a few beers (probably the one day a year I drink in the middle of the day), and then I had some ice cream and indulged in the largest soy chai Starbucks has to offer. And I'm sitting in a seat on the T (a rarity when it's full), and these people get on wrapped in foil. I look at these people, who just ran 26.2 miles, and I immediately get up and offer them my seat. They decline. Are you kidding me? I haven't been to the gym on a regular basis in more than 2 months, and they just ran 26.2 miles and they don't want to sit down? I can hardly stand up to offer them my seat! I refuse to sit down, however, because I realize what a schlub I'd feel like if I sat while they stood. Anyway, it was pretty cool to be so close to people who have accomplished something I'm sure I'll never get to in my life (no, really. My doctor says that I'll be in traction for at least a month if I try it - damned arthritis). I have a few friends who have run a marathon, and a few who have walked, and to all of them I take off my hat. Well done, folks - being close to these foil-wrapped people here in Boston reminded me of all the hard work you guys put forth, and I'm just proud to say I know you. Even though I'm a schlub right now. =)

On to the next topic! Because of the fickle nature of the weather here in Beantown, I have had some ups and downs with seasonal allergies. Now, I don't care where you live, I bet you've experienced this "Joy of Spring" as well. You wake up with a sore throat from post-nasal drip, you walk around feeling like your head is a balloon about to detach from your body, and the only thing you can do is overdose on Tylenol Allergy Sinus (my miracle drug of choice) and pray for the best. Mmmmmm....FUN. Recently, I had the pain in my throat (usually fixed by the aforementioned miracle drug of choice) move to the back of my mouth, so that anytime I swallowed there was a sharp pain at the base of my tongue. This could not be fixed by my miracle drug, and I was absolutely miserable. Until I re-visited an old philosophy of mine: Slurpees fix everything! That's right, the good old 7-11 Slurpee became my new miracle drug of choice, and I recommend it to all of you. The beauty of treating allergy symptoms with a Slurpee is this: the spoon-straw. You can spot-treat any sore areas of your mouth by scooping up a bit of Slurpee and placing it directly in the affected area. If it is your throat that hurts, the Slurpee slides down smoothly and soothes the entire area, and it is my belief that the carbonation in the Slurpee-goodness helps to erode the offending mucus that is making your throat hurt in the first place. I've found that the Slurpee miracle drug has long-lasting effects, and is far tastier than any other solution. For those of you lucky enough not to be affected by allergy symptoms, FEAR NOT! The Slurpee has other amazing benefits for you! The Slurpee can make a hot summer day 10 degrees cooler, and it can make your mouth a fun color as well. For those on a diet, the Slurpee is a fat-free dessert option. Need a kick of energy but trying to give up caffeine? The sugar in the Slurpee will give you a nice jolt. Trying to become an alcoholic but just don't like the taste? Mix some rum in your Slurpee (making a Rumee, if you will) and drink it down like water! (OK, just kididng on the last one. I mean, you can still make that delicious concoction, but don't try to become an alcoholic or anything. Seriously.) Anyway, my point is, Slurpees make everything better. Try one today!

My final point today is about my new toothbrush. Now, I've always been an Oral-B or Crest girl when it came to toothbrushes, because Oral-B is what my dentist gave me and Crest has always been my toothpaste of choice. But I was swayed by a commercial for a Reach brand toothbrush that included a tongue-scraper on the back of the head. I'm big into tongue-scraping, as it is a key element in preventing bad breath and is just an all-around good idea...but I'm totally unwilling to spend extra money on a separate-tongue scraping device. I don't care how cheap they are, it's a matter of principle - you can accomplish the same thing with your toothbrush bristles, and I find it to be a waste of money. The issue was, every single time I scraped my tongue with the toothbrush bristles, I'd gag. Not pleasant. But still a matter of principle, so I stuck to my toothbrush-bristles-gagging plan. Until now. Ladies, and gentlemen, I am a convert. The first time I used the Reach toothbrush the scraper side on the back of the toothbrush head rubbed against my cheek, and I thought I wasn't going to like it. But, on the plus side, when I used the scraper tool, there was no gagging, so I decided to give it another day or so to see if I got used to it. Guess what? I did. And now I love my toothbrush so much that I tell EVERYONE I possibly can about it. If you're into tongue scraping, and have a gagging problem with the bristles, and have a moral issue with buying a separate tool, this is the brush for you. Of course, if you have that much OCD (like I do), maybe you should have that checked out. =)

(And yes, I'm joking about the OCD, but it is not a funny disease. Please don't get mad at me.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom: Well, your blog software is not right - it thinks it is Thursday, March 30 (or is that your computer??) Anyway, good to see you are well; hope Jay's team is having fun; I, too, admire those marathon people; will need to try a slurpee soon as I work just a stone's throw from a 7-11 now (yes, you are jealous, aren't you? I can *see* the 7-11 from my office and walk to it in under 2 minutes! you should see the guys in this office with their gi-normous cups for coffee - wonder if you can get a slurpee in them?); you used Oral B because you Dad liked them so that is what we bought (they had a size 60 with lots of bristles that he likes, and as he wears a toothbrush out in about a week, I figure he needs to have what he likes), good to know you have found one you like, too. Dad, Grampy and Mindy say hello! Me too! Love, Mom

3:24 PM  
Blogger pilgrimchick said...

Ah, how well I remember Marathon Day. In RI, our "state specialty holiday" is V-J Day--that's right, the notorious Victory over Japan Day that was thought to be so offensive to the Japanese population, other states save RI gave it up. Not RI; trust my state to not only have their own holiday, but to make it a controversial one. Why can't we do something like Patriot's Day?

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kristy,

I am home sick with a nasty sore throat and was killing time so I looked up your blog. I think I will have Chuck pick up a Slurpee for me on the way home...I bought that same tooth brush about a month ago! It is awesome. It makes my mouth feel so clean! I never thought to write about the way a toothbrush changed my life, but it has. That's why I love you...you write about all the mundane stuff that makes up my life.

7:34 PM  
Blogger TanteToma said...

You are my sister in marketing...I LOVE MY NEW REACH W/TONGUE SCRAPER! I even converted Suzy (Momma). It's a slice of heaven in my teeth-cleaning experience. I miss and love you HEAPS. When are you gonna bring that man to meet Chester? He must go through final approval, you know. I love you and I miss you. More than you know...xxoo

10:51 AM  
Blogger Abby Green said...

I was sooo jealous not to be living in Boston this year for Marathon Monday...oops, I mean Patriot's Day!! If I hadn't known, I would've thought YOU ran the marathon...great descriptions about everything, especially the scream tunnel! I can't wait to be in Boston in July...I've already been making a list of everything I want to do, including walk around Jamaica Pond and along the Charles River! ...I miss being around water sooo much here!!

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home