Closer to Fine

"The hardest to learn was the least complicated."

Friday, January 21, 2005

Thanks for tuning in! You're free to stay.

This morning when I left for the doctor's office the thermometer read 2 degrees (Fahrenheit), and with windchill it felt like -17 (F). Now it's a balmy 7 (F) and it feels like -11 (F). note: previous weather information came from weather.com. I know, I know. I KNOW! I chose to move here, there are people in Minnesota who have a high of -52 without windchill today. I know! No right to complain.

But the cold got me philosophical this fine Boston morning. (That's right, the cold. I'm a nerd, folks. Everything makes me philosophical at some point or another. Turkish Delight, the cold, you name it. And you love it. That's why you're still reading.) I started to think about how cold it must have been for the Pilgrims. I mean, think of it: they came here and built a society in the mess of a few Massachusetts winters. And they did it without the comforts of central heat, gortex jackets, or cars with heated seats to get around in. I can't even imagine. I complain when I have to walk a block in 8 layers of warm synthetic clothing with those little heat packs you get for your mittens when you go skiing. But the Pilgrims wanted freedom so badly that they lived through the miserable cold without much to call their own. Now that's passion for what you believe in.

Sometime last year I read Profiles in Courage by the late President John F. Kennedy. It is a Pulitzer Prize-winning book about political bravery written in his senate years before he took office as our president. Kennedy told the stories of senators throughout United States history that stood their ground and did what they knew was right for the country, despite party affiliations and pressure from their constituents. Daniel Webster, for example, promoted the Clay Compromise even though it gave more rights to slave owners (something he, his party, and his constituents were against). He did it because he took an oath to protect and preserve the Union, our nation as a whole, and he knew without the Clay Compromise the South would secede. It was potentially political suicide, but he did it anyway. The stories in the book are amazing, and it was a fantastic read in an election year. It really gives you a new perspective on politicians you might have thought you would vote for. In the end, it's more important to do what's best for the nation as a whole rather than what you think is right for yourself. That's how democracy works, when it works. And it's frustrating, because you might be in the minority, and the country is run counter to your wishes, but again...that's democracy. Everyone has a say, but the majority rules.

I am reminded of a great quote from the movie "The American President":

America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship - you've gotta want it bad, because it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land is the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that. Defend that. Celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.

I think that speaks for itself.

Anyway, in the end this post seems to be about passion for your beliefs. It's inspiring to know that our country was founded by people of such fortitude that they withstood astounding hardships so that they might create a better life for themselves and their descendants. It's also inspiring to know that our history is punctuated with people who respected that passion, and had a similar verve for the principles upon which our nation was founded. It kind of relates back to the Five for Fighting concept - what is it that you are so passionate about that you would fight for it despite the cost? Kinda makes you want to shut down your computer and get out there and do something, huh?

Well go ahead! And let me know how it turns out. =)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom: American President - one of my favorite movies. And that quote is one of my favorite from the movie. Perhaps it is time I read Profiles in Courage ...

11:54 PM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

I am much more appreciative of the cold temperatures while waiting for my train since I've started reading Sinclair's The Jungle. It is horrrrrrrid and engrossing in a car-wreck sort of way. Also makes me shut my trap when I begin to whine about my lack of funds...

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home