Closer to Fine

"The hardest to learn was the least complicated."

Monday, February 28, 2005

Score? XX 1, XY 0!

Holy smokes it's blizzarding outside! Or, I guess, it's nor'eastering outside. Either way, the snow is blowing sideways outside my window and it's a little crazy. You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but alas I am not. I think I will always be amazed at how much it snows up here. It's just unnatural.

But speaking of snow, let me get going on today's topic:

I have long lamented the fact that it would be difficult for me to write my name in the snow with pee. (Yes, I have friends who point out it is in fact possible, it would just involve an amazing amount of self-control and be really, really difficult. But possible, yes.) I've also long lamented the (related) fact that it's not an easy task for me to pee standing up. So I do have moments where I prove Freud right, and I have a little bit of penis envy, I suppose. (Sorry mom, I bet you're wincing right now.)

But I was reminded this past weekend why it's SO MUCH FUN to be a girl, and it is moments like these that make peeing my name in the snow seems insignificant. Here's the story:

My friend Sarah (who kindly gave me permission to use her name in this story) and my friend Brianna came over Friday night to eat yummy food and watch "Garden State." (Sidebar: if you haven't seen this movie, DO SO IMMEDIATELY. You can borrow it from me if you're in the Boston area and leave a nonessential organ at my house in exchange to make sure you return it. Also check out Zach Braff's - writer, director, star of the movie - blog on the website. Freakin' hysterical. End shameless unsolicited promo.) Afterwards we got to girl talk, as we are wont to do, and we began to discuss Sarah's potential romantic rendezvous approaching this upcoming weekend. She's headed to Minnesota (which is where she's from so it's not as sad as you might originally think...although I can't imagine leaving Boston mid-winter only to go someplace colder and snowier) to see a *boy* she's been in touch with via phone and email for several months now. They've developed a pretty tight relationship...added to the fact that their families know each other quite well so there's that added layer of trust there. She'll be staying at his house for a weekend, and although we're not sure where she'll be sleeping as yet, we do know this one fact (and all you ladies out there will back me up I'm sure):

Her pajamas are the most important articles of clothing she'll pack.

Even if she's sleeping on the couch, she's got a big crush on this guy, and she'll want to look cute at sleepy-time. So we spent over an hour online searching for cute pajamas and weighing all the options - cropped with a tank top might be really cute, but far too chilly for Minnesota. But if you add cute ankle socks and a zippered hoodie it could be functional and cute. There were pajamas that were pre-wrinkled as a style, and we discussed how that could be good for when she wakes up in the morning...she won't look dishevelled because they're supposed to be wrinkled. We even thought of the fact that if she bought the pj's from Victoria's Secret she could also buy matching underwear, which would be the ultimate in bedtime cuteness.

Now, the reality of things is this: he probably won't notice if her underwear matches her pj's (if he gets to see them at all). But she'll feel better knowing that they all match, and that she looks cute. It's one of the really cool things about being a girl...we're easily pleased by such things, and we relish in sharing this with each other because it's so silly. I once spent 45 minutes deciding which pajama outfit looked cutest to go to a boy's house to study. Just study, mind you, but I also liked this boy and wanted to look casually cute. No lie - 45 minutes in front of the mirror trying on very very casual clothes, saying things like, "Nope. Not cute enough."

I understand that all you men out there are just shaking your head as you hold it in your hands. But all you women are totally enjoying this. And THAT'S why I'm proud to have two X chromosomes, even if I can't easily pee my name in the snow. There's a feeling of solidarity in our silliness that is just comforting and carries with it a sense of joy in being a girl. It's also why so many women love "Sex and the City" - it makes you feel OK about being a girl and being silly about things like matching pajamas and underwear. Yes, we're neurotic. Yes, we're picky about silly things. And it's freakin' FANTASTIC.

And SO much fun.

music: a somewhat scary mix of "girl power" music from my Itunes stash...including: Just Like a Pill (Pink), Me and Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin), Proud Mary (Tina Turner), Last Thing (Diana Anaid), Since U Been Gone (Kelly Clarkson), Milkshake (Kelis), Lady (Lenny Kravitz - the lone man to make it on the list), and Girl from the Gutter (orig. by Kina, as performed by the USC Sirens). There was more on the list, but I typed too fast to get to it all.

8 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Well, on the flipside, the guy is probably analyzing the 500 possible ways that he can "make the move". And that is always so much harder.

But peeing in the snow? Very nice perk of being a guy. One of very many. We have it very easy. ;)

12:05 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Well said, my friend. But just so you know, the reason we ladies spend so much time picking out pajamas is to give you the clue that you should *absolutely* make the move - we're trying to make it easier on you.

The issue then becomes that signals get lost in translation, if you will - y'all don't notice the new pajamas, we wonder why you're being all weird while you're trying to figure out how to "make the move"...and things get awkward.

Fortunately people still figure out how to hook up with each other anyway. =)

6:54 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

To be honest, I am betting this guy wants to make the move regardless. She could be wearing a paper bag skirt and a tube top made out of tin cans. I think the whole "come a long way to my place for a visit" implies that there's gonna be some mambo.

But I do agree with you. Cute jammies make things a lot more exciting than not. Although, just a thought, she could ask to wear some of his clothes to sleep in? That's pretty hot too, imo.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom:

I agree, cute PJs are fun!

Seems the news about women standing to pee has not made it to Beantown:

http://www.gettingit.com/article/123

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom said ...
Hmmm. I think the following is a better site instruction-wise:

http://www.cabaretvoltaire.com/42/archives/000050.htmlI have been told that the shower is a good place to practice! :-)

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When are you going to start your own talkshow on TV?? I think being able to watch you on TV talking about things that you'd otherwise blog may be the only thing that would ever get me to watch TV with addiction. :) But until that day...I'll read on...

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops...that was from Abby :)

7:56 AM  
Blogger Aaron Weber said...

My ex had some really cute ones that were all plain white shirt and pants and a pink heart embroidered on the left breast with the words "Not Tonight" in it. Hilarious.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home