Closer to Fine

"The hardest to learn was the least complicated."

Monday, January 24, 2005

Everybody else is doing it...

Yeah, OK. 98% of my friends in Boston who blog posted on the blizzard. I suppose I will too. But that does NOT make me a lemming. I'm doing it for those of you who don't read those other people's blogs. Consider it community service.

Well, what can I tell you that the news and the weather channel and everyone else hasn't told you? It snowed. This was my first blizzard, so I was really excited. Most of the hurricanes I lived through in Florida were mild, not much more than big thunderstorms when they finally passed over me. I'm told this "blizzard" is also mild...which I guess I can buy. The tricky thing about blizzards is not the snow, per se, but the wind. For example, from my apartment windows it looked like there was hardly any snow at all for a number of hours. However, if you were to go look out the building windows in the hallway, you'd see cars completely covered in snow. Some were lucky, some were not. Very, very random. Again for example, my car was completely free of snow at the end of the blizzarding. However, two cars down from me, the cars were completely buried. Bizarre. This is apparently called a "snow drift." In the end, Kate and I rented 5 movies, bought a few tasty treats (I made york peppermint patty brownies), and hunkered down for the night. A good time was had by all. The next day, when we didn't have cable, my friend Brianna sent her very kind roommate Steve over to pick us up (our parking lot had not yet been plowed) and we watched football at Bri's house. Really, if it hadn't snowed, this weekend wouldn't have been too different from other weekends Kate and I have had. We only noticed a difference when we lost hot water (since restored) and cable, and when we walked outside to meet Steve and turned into instant ice sculptures.

So, yeah. Not bad. My final analysis is this: if you're going to go through a blizzard, spend it with friends and pray you have power and it can be a really good time.

One of the movies Kate and I watched while huddled away in our apartment was "Bowling for Columbine." I am familiar with Michael Moore in that I know who he is and what he does, but I've never read any of his books or seen his movies. Whether or not you agree with his politics, I must say that he is a powerful storyteller. Now, I've admitted before to being a fairly liberal gal, so a lot of what he had to say rang true to me. But that's sort of like going to a pep rally - it gets you to think a little about a subject, but it doesn't present the opposing side. What I'd really love is if there was a super conservative documentarian making movies on the same subjects that Michael Moore does, so I could see more than one side of the argument. I'd feel better about agreeing with Michael Moore if I knew what the counter argument was (and his presentations of Charleton Heston and other conservatives don't count, because he could arguably be editing their comments).

In this movie, he brings up an interesting question (my apologies to those of you who have already seen the movie, I'm very slowly catching up on movies I've wanted to see for a long time, and no I haven't seen "Farenheit 911" yet, that's next): Why are there so many gun-related deaths in the United States? The stats presented in the movie were sick - I'm not sure what the year was, but get these stats of number of gun-related deaths in different countries for one year: Japan - 39, Australia - 65, UK - 68, Canada - 165, France - 255, Germany - 381, United States: 11,127. Seriously? That's crazy. I haven't had time to investigate criticism of these statistics, but I'm assuming that there's some sort of argument about things averaging out when you factor in population size. But it just doesn't seem right. Hang on.

The population size of Japan is roughly125,000,000. The population size of the U.S. is roughly 295,000,000. OK. So we're somewhere between 2 and 3 times the size of Japan, population-wise. Our gun deaths are 28 times Japan's. WHY?

Moore presents several possibilities, the one I latched onto was the media. This actually really interests me, because he posits that the U.S. media is largely negative information which somehow may lead to more violence. I'd love to hear from others (Pat, if you still read this, or pass it on to Andy) who have lived in other countries...what's the media like there? Is it really that different? I'm also torn on this presentation because, well...there's lots of stuff. I feel like better parenting could solve this problem even if the media remains negative (parents control their children's viewing habits, and teach them non-violence), for one.

Anyway, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this. Those who know more about the stats, more about Michael Moore, those who have seen the movie, those who haven't. Those who agree, those who disagree. You're all welcome, and in fact encouraged. This is something I'd like to explore further, but I'm lazy...and in the end I feel the best way to really sort out one's thoughts on issues is to bounce them off of other people, hear what they have to say, and re-form your own thoughts.

That's all for now. This has gotten lengthy, and besides, I have to get off the computer at the resource center at MGH now because my allotted time is up. But think about it, and let me know. And in the meantime, hug somebody you love, and listen to someone you think gets ignored most of the time. You might be surprised at the difference you can make by just doing that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

What I know about Michael Moore-very slanted, very biased, I wouldn't take everything he says for 100% fact, without researching first. Case in point, Fahrenheit 9/11. Sure, lots are true, but with a slant to make it worse.

That said, I am sure most of the gun stuff is true. I think we should ban ALL guns. Except for police maybe. No need at all for ANYONE to have a gun. People say "for protection", but if no one had them, no one would need them for protection.

11:04 AM  
Blogger pleclair said...

I'll pass this along to Andy, sure he'll have something to add.
-pat

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom - Balance is always difficult - who is telling the truth about what when? It is good you realize that every person who tells a story has a bias, and that you have a responsibility to search for what is true and what is not. I had a philosophy teacher who told the story of visiting a Dakota native American tribe and being invited into a lodge where a pipe was passed and stories shared. When the event was complete, he asked one of the tribe members if the stories were true. The response was something similar to, "Whether or not the events described actually happened I know not, but in the telling of the stories there is truth."

I have no idea what to do about the guns. At one time I would have said that anyone that claimed Second Amendment rights in keeping their gun(s) was "out there." However, now that I have the feeling that for unclear (to me) reasons of national security and terrorism prevention, I may be losing rights allegedly guaranteed by our Constitution, I am tending to stand with them: if they lose their rights, what will happen to my rights? I love the following saying from Benjamin Franklin's: "Those who would give up a little freedom for a little safety, deserve neither freedom nor safety." Quite a conundrum (one of my favorite words, to which I was introduced by Mark Twain), if you ask me.

I hate what happens when people misuse guns. I am not wise enough to know how to change that situation. Or am I just too lazy???

Dad says you live a charmed life: if he had been in
Boston, his car would have been the one beneath the snow (of course, he has a short car, too, so it would not take too much to bury his car). Hope this latest weather event has not been too bad.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

"Some people are mature and responsible enough to have weapons, others not."

I think this is key. I have a few friends (imagine that!) who grew up in the country and it seriously is part of their heritage and tradition to hunt with their fathers, brothers, uncles, etc. These people hold the greatest respect for firearms and it would be sad for them to lose out just because of unethical manufacturers and idiots/unfortunate people who don't know any better and use firearms out of anger/pride/passion/whatever. So, I don't have a good answer, either.

Personally, I'd have no problem getting rid of guns altogether. No one gets to have them, period. That would make punishing those found with guns very very easy (unless they shoot you first). But then, I would have no problem with getting rid of brussels sprouts altogether. No one gets to eat them, period. Silly? Perhaps. No one gets hurt by eating brussels sprouts? I tend to disagree, they hurt my tongue big time. And that is where I can't say I agree with getting rid of guns wholesale. Just because they're not a part of my life doesn't mean they play an important part in others lives. Like Jayne is reminded of a quote, I am reminded of that poem from the Holocaust about the Jews being taken and the author said nothing, the Catholics were taken and the author said nothing and on and on and so forth, until when the time came to take the author, there was no one left to speak up for him.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home