Closer to Fine

"The hardest to learn was the least complicated."

Thursday, August 18, 2005

How sleep and Pizza Hut saved my life (Or, "Confession #2")

Are you ready for this one? (Mom, you may want to not read this. You're going to shake your head in dismay.)

I once called in to work for three days in a row just to help my roommate defeat a playstation game.

Yeah, you read that right. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Well, OK, I am a little. But it was SOOOOO fun! It's like a little guilty pleasure...some people were in the
Scott Baio fan club, I was obsessed with Walt Disney World Magical Racing Tour. Here's the story:

First of all, you'll need a little background. When I worked at Walt Disney World, they had this fantastic high school-esque policy regarding call-ins. Your whole hired/fired status worked on a point system (a la demerits). Three points got you a reprimand, and three reprimands within 12 months got you fired. So you got points for different things: being late, leaving early...some things were partial points and some things were whole points. Calling in for a personal day cost you a whole point for each day, but calling in sick only cost you one point for three days in a row. More than three days and you needed a doctor's note (so you couldn't go on vacation and call in sick for 6 days, have just 2 points, and get away with it easily). OK, so knowing that...

I came home from work one day frustrated and tired. My roommate Mindy had rented a Playstation (1, back in the prehistoric days before PS2) from Blockbuster and she had rented a game. As soon as I walked in the door she mauled me jabbering about some game her boyfriend had rented for his playstation that was SOOOOOOOOOOO fun and we had to play it. So I sat down and joined her. Within 5 minutes I was hooked. The game is designed so that you are Disney characters racing go-karts through the rides at Walt Disney World. I think I probably got home that night around 9:30, and we might have gone to sleep around 3am. We left both the Playstation and the TV on lest we lose all the work we'd put in beating different "rides" and levels. We had conquered the first level on each of the rides, but the increasing difficulty was making the second level slow-going. Oh, and we slept on the floor in front of the TV to protect it in case our other roommate, Ali, came home and tried to turn it off. We also wrote her a note telling her not to touch ANYTHING. We were quite serious about this.

Woke up in the morning amidst blankets and pillows and shook Mindy awake. Immediately began working on the game again. Within the hour we realized a power outtage could ruin all our hard work, and paused the game, wrote another note for Ali, and left for Wal-Mart to purchase a memory card (that's right, a memory card for a Playstation we didn't even own). While out, we realized sustinance would be key to our ability to focus. Not wanting to lose precious time, we hit the McDonald's drive through and headed home. A few hours later, when it was time for me to go to work, I decided we'd never conquer the game and find out the "surprise" at the end if I had to waste 8 hours at work. I called in sick (knowing full well we'd never beat the game in just the one day and not wanting to get a reprimand for taking three personal days to beat a video game) and thus it began. The trip to WalMart was the last time I left the house (or the spot on the floor in front of the TV, for that matter) for the next three days. We ordered Pizza Hut when we were hungry, napped in front of the TV when we were tired, and had a fort of pillows and blankets to keep us comfy.

You may ask, why are you admitting this to us, Kristy? Well, a few weeks ago I was checking the news at work and discovered
this story. Clearly the man was an amateur. Or Pizza Hut and sleep saved my life. Either way, I had a good chuckle remembering my days of hooky-playing back in O-town. And, I take some satisfaction in the idea that I cheated death. =)

(Mom: if you're still reading...this adventure was not for nothing...Fear Not: we beat the game. You can rest easy now.)

14 Comments:

Blogger TCho said...

I've been trying to think of a way I could get my insurance to pay for an Xbox. I figure it'd be good therapy for my hand, and I really want one!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom: Yes, shaking head. In wonderment. :-) Do you know (and this concerns me) that I can NOT (will NOT?) distinguish the words on some recent 'songs'? I just noticed that today. Have no idea if it is an old-age thing, my hearing going bad, or just a subconscious refusal to acknowledge it as music ... ah well! I, too, liked the Frogger games. This one sounds interesting, though I am not certain I could focus on anything for 3 days ...

1:58 PM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

Perhaps if that man had just ordered some food from the cafe he was in...

Emily, I am wondering how it came to be that we disliked each other at one point. I know now that we are meant to be after your Papa John comment... I'm blaming Peter Fitch.

Mom2, so THAT'S where I get it from! I always wondered what my problem is with hearing the words in songs and now I find out it's hereditary...

2:18 PM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

Eeewwwwwwww! He is so grody. I am quite pleased myself...

Kristy has been doing pretty well, THIS week anyway. ;) Keep up the good work Kristy!

Want to know another trajedy? All the Papa John's in Chicago shut down. The owner of like, ALL the Papa John's in the area got into a dispute with the Papa and they booted him. He turned all the stores into Papa Mike's or something dumb and then they all went out of business. I think there are a few around the suburbs now, but none near me. :( And yes, it is probably a good thing Vince works at the Hut. Aaaaaa Pizza Hut, a Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza HUT!

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom: Who is Mike Fitch? Good to know that genetics sometimes prove useful. Today's Doonesbury
was great!! Papa John's has too much salt. Good song, Laura! Black socks, they never get dirty ...
I'm nominating Gretchen for a Thanks badge. :-)

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom: Sorry, Ms. Em. 'Tis one of my favorite songs, perhaps because I can hit all the notes ... Do you think Mike Fitch perhaps grew up, matured, and became a human being? Might be possible ... :-)

6:38 PM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

PETER Fitch! ;)

And it's a very remote, slim possibility. Ew ew ew. I knew I'd had enough when he and Sarah B. "did it" in 6th grade. Ew ew ew. But you never know...

Who is going to run camp now?!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Whew. I don't feel so bad about my 5 hour Mario Kart sessions back in college anymore. ;)

9:31 AM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

Ha! My first date was with Lane Kneedler in 6th grade and he took me to see Greg's mom's dance troupe. The most romantic thing that happened the entire "date" was afterwards, we had dinner at McDonald's and we had a french fry fight. I think I really screwed things up on date #2 when we went to see a movie with Todd & Abby and Lane and I spent the whole time flicking each other's ears instead of making out. Oops.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

Too funny! Emily, maybe it's good we live far away from each other. Our taste in men seems to be way too close for comfort...

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom: I am wondering if all the chatter is somehow significant??? Hot topic? Connections made? Or is it just that everyone had timee to read and write, and was glad to see a post ????

12:07 PM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

Perhaps all of the above. :)

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk Like a Pirate Day is coming!!

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

September 19!

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom: So - Papa John's pizza for me last night, and then watching Pride and Prejudice with one of my girlfriends. It is cool here in C'ville - jeans in August? Yes. And they were needed, too. Anyway, the pizza was great (not too much salt ...)

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home