Closer to Fine

"The hardest to learn was the least complicated."

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Fashionably Oblivious

Those of you who know me know that I'm not one to be accused of being a fashionista. Not that I have a horrible sense of style, just that it's...well...a tad...safe (and maybe boring). My friend Corki calls certain shirts that Old Navy sells perennially "Kristy shirts," because they're solid colors, simple design (either round neck or v neck, short sleeve or long sleeve, simple hems), and I buy them in almost every color they sell. It's rare you'll see me wearing a pattern. I'm just a plain kinda girl...probably because I know I can't go wrong, and probably also because although I like shopping, I do have a limit...and I'm not patient enough to shop long enough to get enough clothes I need with patterns. You see, you have to really get the right pattern to look right on you. Not everyone looks great in stripes, or polka dots, or certain color combos. But I *know* that my pink, blue, yellow, and maroon long-sleeve round-neck shirts from Old Navy are going to look good on me. And they'll go with a few different things: my gray suit pants from Old Navy, my khakis from Old Navy, and my jeans from Old Navy. Seeing a trend here? Versatility is key.

In any case, the point of this whole thing is that I have a question. I keep seeing the Joss Stone Gap commercial all over TV (now that I have time to watch TV again). And my question is this:

Are white jeans back? Really? I mean, I knew that white was back...I've seen the all-white outfits, but I assumed they were linen or cotton or something. Are we really bringing back white jeans? And if we are, does that mean black jeans are back for winter? Somebody hook me up with the info, since we all know that I'm not the leading expert on what's hot.

Not that I'm going to buy white or black jeans, mind you. Just that I want to know.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mom:
According to:
http://shopping.msn.com/columns.aspx?csId=103:
"White jeans are the new law of the land this spring, and why not? Like black, white goes with everything from pastels to prints."

Can't find anything about black jeans, but maybe that is because it is not yet winter ...

10:54 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

I'm gonna vote no. I don't think white or black jeans are ever back in. Unless you are dressing "totally 80's".

6:56 PM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

I veto any boy's opinions on this topic as they often have trouble seeing outside their own realm, even the fashionably-inclined.

For GIRLS, yes, the white jeans are more than acceptable. Black jeans are still a no-no, though there was that variation last winter with the black ring-spun that didn't really look like black jeans. Still, that was an outlying version and not to be taken seriously in the grand denim scheme.

So K, I should NOT bring my new white jeans to Boston this weekend?!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I won't take any offense to that. True, guys generally lack fashion sense, but some of us don't. :-)

I think it all comes down to confidence about it. You can pull off anything as long as you know it looks good. I.E. my pink suit jacket. Solid.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

That's heavy, man.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Not heavy. PIMPIN!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

Does he have a Michael-Jackson-zipper-jacket in red leather? My boss has one... that she still wears. Yipes!

Pink <> Pimpin'. Sorry Adam. It's definitely hip, but not quite Pimpin' status.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I forgot to tell you. It's pink, covered in bedazzled. Peeeeempin!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

You know, as I was brushing my teeth yesterday morning, I realized that I could not put my finger on why a pink jacket in and of itself is not quite "pimpin". Then I tried to think of items that WOULD be pimpin. The first was WHITE jacket, pink shirt. And then I realized that's not pimpin, that's just Miami Vice. Which MIGHT be pimpin since they are making the remake with all sorts of cool people... Then I thought about pink jacket, red shirt but that's more Too Cool for School. Anyhow, point is, I can't think of why I don't associate a pink jacket as pimpin and if I can't give a valid reason why it's NOT pimpin, I'm going to have to give it to you.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to GQ, white jeans are certainly back in for men. They're difficult to pull off, but it's possible. I actually just bought a "destroyed" style pair tonight from Hollister.

Take something that's not-so-popular and make it look good...that's style.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home