Closer to Fine

"The hardest to learn was the least complicated."

Monday, December 13, 2004

Istanbul, not Constantinople

For anyone who has read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe you have heard of something called Turkish Delight. In the book, Turkish Delight is made out to be some sort of amazing treat, for which Edward (the younger brother) is willing to sell his soul to the devil. I always wondered if such a thing existed, as I have an enormous sweet tooth and would love to try such a powerful treat. A few years ago I had a friend who found some and brought it to a holiday party. You can imagine my excitement when she offered to let me have a taste.

Now, no offense to Turkish folk everywhere, but I did not find the treat to be such a "delight." It was not horrible, but it's definitely not something for which I would betray my family. If I remember correctly, it was sort of gelatinous/gummy in nature, brightly colored, and each square had a sugary coating around the outside.

I just wanted to make you aware of this fact, that I did not find the Turkish Delight all that enjoyable, in case you are ever offered the chance to betray your family for a taste of some. Now at least you'll have more than one person's opinion on which to base your decision. Community service, y'all, that's what I'm all about. Helping your neighbors and such.

Now that the girls I babysit for have waited so patiently while I typed this, I am going to reward them by letting them have the very first guest post on my blog. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the musings of the twins:

mmmmudddoooooool,kmbbzzbzxxccsdcdffcddddccevvvvvvvppppppp-tttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

(they're two.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to go with you on this one Kristy...the Turkish delight leaves you feeling a little less satisfied with life than you were before taking a bite. Who ever said it was okay to mix chocolate with gelatin like substances....pink gelatin like substances at that? Ewww... AND, the most disappointing part about all of this is that I was in Ireland at the time enjoying Cadbury's as if it were my only source of dairy (milk chocolate of course) everyday and I wasted an entire day's allowance of Cadbury's on the Turkish "Delight".
-Abby <><

11:19 PM  
Blogger Ellobie said...

It sounds similar to some not-food candy I sampled once in France... Thank you for rescuing me from this potential tragedy...

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home