Closer to Fine

"The hardest to learn was the least complicated."

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Pirates and Ninjas and fights, OH MY!

OK, I'm not done with my paper. Nor have I started on my take-home final But I need a break.

So, how have y'all been? Did you miss me? =) I've had a fantastic week...let's catch you up, and then on with the silliness. OK? Most of the week I was convinced that my laptop had actually molded to my skin and it would now be a permanent appendage. I've been working on this paper all week, and although it's not a difficult paper to write, I'm just entirely apathetic about school right now. It has nothing to do with the topic of the paper - I actually enjoy it - but this always happens to me at the end of the semester: the final paper, test, project, etc...whatever it is that is the large assignment at the end of the semester gets the shaft as far as my enthusiasm goes. I'm just ready for vacation. What else? I had an enchanting evening of food, drinks (both delicious and reasonably priced), strolling and fantastic conversation with a member of the opposite sex on Thursday. That's right, I had a date. A great date. And yes, I'm shamelessly using the blog to score points by publicly complimenting my companion. But I really did have a great time, I mean every word of what I've said...and well, that's all you're getting for now. The important thing for you to know is that I'm having a good time with all of it. Yesterday I hung out with friends on the North Shore and then went to a concert of a lovely band, and in the process found a bar that serves UFO pints for $2. You heard me right: TWO DOLLARS! In Boston. Unheard of. Today was brunch (delicious and reasonably priced again!) with Liz and shopping in Beacon Hill boutiques until it was time to get back to work and head to the library for research. All in all...not a bad week. =)

Are you wondering yet what the subject of the post is for? Well, prepare yourself for the silliness. My friend RLove and I spent approximately an hour and a half this week arguing this question: if a pirate and a ninja got in a fight, who would win? Now, before you laugh heartily at my crazy ideas, please understand this is a topic that has plagued me before. Emily and I have had lengthy discussions on the topic. Emily and I had a hard time deciding, because the pirate has skills like swashbuckling and he will also have a parrot on his shoulder who could be useful in disabling or disarming the ninja. However, the ninja does have great speed, agility, and probably throwing stars. I personally want the pirate to win, as does Emily. No offense to ninjas everywhere, I just like to root for the underdog. RLove claims, HANDS DOWN, that the ninja would win. This is because RLove's definition of a ninja is "the ultimate human." The argument gets circular from there, because the ninja is the ultimate human and therefore no other human, not even a pirate, not even a pirate with a well-trained parrot, could beat the ninja. My argument to this was that the ninja is still a human, however, not a superhuman, and so therefore must be flawed. Humans, by nature, are flawed. We all make mistakes. So if your definition of a ninja includes the word human, even if it is paired with the word ultimate, there is a weakness that can be exploited. Perhaps what makes ninjas "ultimate" humans is that they hide their flaws so well that no one else can figure out what they are. In any case, there was much argument over this, and RLove tried to appease me (because he, too, wants the pirate to win) by saying that pirates have booty, and spoils of looting, and so could therefore hire their own ninja to defend them against other ninjas and thus win the fight. I'm still not convinced. RLove says that, after all, pirates don't even have two legs: one is wooden, but Emily says that the wooden leg could be used as a weapon. And it's one less vulnerable point on the body. I'm still at a real loss as to who wins, so if you've got some thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

These are some of the things I think about folks. Seriously.

In any case, I think I've decompressed enough to get back to the schoolwork. As an aside...someone posted anonymously on the top-lipper/bottom-lipper thing..."top lippers unite!" Who are you? I'd love to know. I totally don't mind if you don't feel like signing up for blogger to post, feel free to use the anonymous post option and just add your name at the end of your comment. In the meantime, keep it real, and try to avoid apathy at all costs...once it grabs you, it's hard to shake. I speak from experience.

music: selections from "Forward" (album) by Ryanhood, and "Love's Divine" by Seal.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom says: the pirate wins because the pirate uses the wooden leg to catch the throwing stars, then pulls
the stars out and throws them back! All the while the parrot dive bombs the ninja, making them duck and their otherwise graceful and useful movements ineffective. Pirate 1, Ninja 0. :-)

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home