Closer to Fine

"The hardest to learn was the least complicated."

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Libraries can be fun!

Who knew?

Certainly not me. I've always had a bizarre relationship with libraries. On the one hand, there are certain libraries that really inspire me: their beauty and immense size overwhelm me and make me want to sit and read for a long time. Of course, usually that reading I want to do is recreational. The Boston Public Library at Copley is pretty, and I like that one a lot. My favorite thing to do in large, beautiful libraries is to stand in the middle and just take a moment to try and imagine how much knowledge is surrounding me. Pretty darn cool. However, as a student, I have NEVER been able to study in a library. I don't know if it's too quiet, or maybe just because it's too restricting - I feel like I can't take a "jump up on the table and do the crazy white girl booty dance to j-kwon" study break if I want to.

Until now.

Last night I met with a study group to work on our take-home final...my last thing due this semester. We discussed questions we were unsure of, debated a few issues, and then most people left. Not long after, I realized there really weren't that many people in the library at all...which seemed odd to me during exams. I've never been one for libraries, but I had always assumed others were. Evidently not so, at least not at Wheelock. I ran to check the nearby computer lab, and there were only three people, so I ran back to my computer, fired up the ITunes, and busted "Tipsy" out at top volume. I then proceeded to take the study break described above, and the only person who witnessed it was
Brianna. I'm fairly sure it was a sight to see, as I have absolutely NO rhythm but I love to dance. Anyway, for me, I finally felt like libraries could be fun. And you all missed it. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

In other news, well...I actually don't have too much to say about my life right now, mostly because I'm horribly sleep deprived and will continue to be so until around Christmas. On the bright side, now that I'm done with school, there's just mega-amounts of FUN to be had: drinks with the girls from my class, a date, a few days of babysitting the twins, and MY FRIENDS ARE COMING TO VISIT THIS WEEKEND! I couldn't be more excited, I tell ya. So even the chore-type stuff is fun from here on in, because it all relates to getting ready for other fun things, and it doesn' t relate to school.

As an aside, if anyone has good recommendations for music...I listen to just about everything, and I have a few long car rides ahead of me. I like driving, actually, but the key is to have great music. So, I'll be driving 13 hours from Boston to my home in VA, and 13 hours from my home in VA to FL a week later, and then a week later driving the reverse, but the trips back will be much closer together. So, new music is always a plus, it makes even your old music sound better once you go back to it, and I'm open to suggestions.


As a bit of community service, I'd also like to offer up this website. Bookmark it on your computer. Then go to it anytime you need cheap gas, or you see cheap gas prices in your area. It works like a community bulletin board, so people post the address of stations that have cheap gas prices in their area, and then others can go to those stations and support them, keeping gas prices low. It's a great idea, so support it if you drive a car!

For your bit of randomness today, I'd like to talk about the monikers for different states' residents. For example, has anyone (not from Massachusetts) ever thought of how to refer to residents of Masschusetts? I'm originally from Virginia, so I'm a Virginian. When I lived in Florida, I met many Floridians. Those make sense to me. Massachusettsians? Eh...not so much. What about Maine? Maniacs? Michigan...Michiganians? If this is starting to bother you, Fear Not. I have found the answer. As it turns out, residents of Massachusetts have the distinct honor of being the only ones that do not use the state name in their moniker. They are Bay Staters. Maine residents are Mainers, and Michigan residents are Michiganders or Michiganites. There's tons of funny ones, like New Mexico residents are New Mexicans, which makes sense to me but just sounds silly. So follow the link and educate yourself, if you are so inclined.

But if I were from Maine, I'd start a state campaign to be called the Maniacs instead of Mainers. I just think it's more fun. And then their tourism campaign could be something like: "We're Maniacs about Maine! Come find out why!" Or "Maine is full of Maniacs! We're crazy about our state!"

Or something.

music: some sort of George Winston CD (the music the girls listen to during their nap) over the baby monitor

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We call them Massholes.

a.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom wants to see the "jump up on the table and do the crazy white girl booty dance to j-kwon" study break. :-) I like Maniacs, too, but I think it should be spelled Mainiacs. When I come to visit, I hope I get ALL CAPS, too. :-) Looking forward to seeing you soon and hoping you will not be too tired to drive safely (knowing that you have a great mind and know when to stop and how to use a credit card to get a room ... should not be a problem, right? Your being safe is more important than when you get home.)

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely Michiganders....not Michiganites. :)
Abby <><

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home